Deep Herschel view of obscured star formation in the Bullet cluster



Downloads per month over past year

Pérez González, Pablo Guillermo and otros, ... (2010) Deep Herschel view of obscured star formation in the Bullet cluster. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 518 . ISSN 0004-6361

[thumbnail of perezgonzalez49libre.pdf]

Official URL:


We use deep, five band (100–500 μm) data from the Herschel Lensing Survey (HLS) to fully constrain the obscured star formation rate, SFR_FIR, of galaxies in the Bullet cluster (z = 0.296), and a smaller background system (z = 0.35) in the same field. Herschel detects 23 Bullet cluster members with a total SFR_FIR = 144±14 M_⨀ yr^-1. On average, the background system contains brighter far-infrared (FIR) galaxies, with ~50% higher SFR_FIR (21 galaxies; 207± 9 M_⨀ yr^-1). SFRs extrapolated from 24 μm flux via recent templates (SFR_24 µm) agree well with SFRFIR for ~60% of the cluster galaxies. In the remaining ~40%, SFR_24 µm underestimates SFR_FIR due to a significant excess in observed S_100/S_24 (rest frame S_75/S_18) compared to templates of the same FIR luminosity.

Item Type:Article
Additional Information:

© ESO, 2010.
Artículo firmado por 36 autores.
This work is based in part on observations made with Herschel, a European Space Agency Cornerstone Mission with significant participation by NASA. Support for this work was provided by NASA through an award issued by JPL/Caltech.

Uncontrolled Keywords:Infrared galaxies; 1E0657-56; Filaments; Spitzer
Subjects:Sciences > Physics > Astrophysics
Sciences > Physics > Astronomy
ID Code:38556
Deposited On:21 Jul 2016 15:53
Last Modified:10 Dec 2018 15:05

Origin of downloads

Repository Staff Only: item control page