Fear connectedness among asset classes



Downloads per month over past year

Andrada-Félix, Julián and Fernandez-Perez, Adrian and Sosvilla-Rivero, Simón (2018) Fear connectedness among asset classes. Applied Economics, 50 (39). pp. 4234-4249. ISSN 1466-4283

[thumbnail of Fear connectedness-Andrada-Félix (Postprint).pdf]

Official URL: https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2018.1441521


This study investigates the interconnection between five implied volatility indices representative of different financial markets during the period 1 August 2008–29 December 2017. To this end, we first perform a static and dynamic analysis to measure the total volatility connectedness in the entire period (the system-wide approach) using a framework recently proposed by Diebold and Yilmaz. Second, we make use of a dynamic analysis to evaluate both the net directional connectedness for each market and all net pairwise directional connectedness. Our results suggest that a 38.99%, of the total variance of the forecast errors is explained by shocks across markets, indicating that the remainder 61.01% of the variation is due to idiosyncratic shocks. Furthermore, we find that volatility connectedness varies over time, with a surge during periods of increasing economic and financial instability. Finally, we also document frequently switch between a net volatility transmitter and a net volatility receiver role in the five markets under study.

Item Type:Article
Additional Information:

The authors wish to thank two anonymous referees and the editor for their helpful comments and suggestions on a previous draft of this article, which have enabled us to introduce substantial improvements. Julián Andrada-Félix gratefully acknowledges warm hospitality and financial support of the Department of Finance at the Auckland University of Technology during his research visit. Simón Sosvilla-Rivero thanks the members of the Department of Economics at the University of Bath for their
warm hospitality during his research visit.

Uncontrolled Keywords:Implied volatility indices; financial market linkages; connectedness; VAR; Variance decomposition.
Subjects:Social sciences > Economics > Econometrics
Social sciences > Economics > World economy
Social sciences > Economics > Macroeconomics
Social sciences > Economics > Stock exchanges
JEL:C53, E44, F31, G15
ID Code:60072
Deposited On:21 Apr 2020 10:35
Last Modified:24 Apr 2020 09:58

Origin of downloads

Repository Staff Only: item control page